Libyan President Mohammed Magarief said Tuesday in an interview that an anti-Muslim film trailer posted online in the U.S. in July had "nothing to do" with a deadly attack on the American embassy in Benghazi earlier this month.
Magarief, in an interview with NBC News, appeared to counter President Obama's claim during a speech at the UN earlier in the day that the film sparked the attack, in which U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other personnel were killed.
Rather, Magarief said, the attack had been planned to coincide with the Sept. 11 anniversary, and that the film trailer produced in California months ago had no influence.
"Reaction should have been, if it was genuine, should have been six months earlier. So it was postponed until the 11th of September," he said. "They chose this date, 11th of September, to carry a certain message."
Magarief said there were no protesters at the embassy prior to the attack, which he said came in two waves - first with rocket-propelled grenades at the consulate, followed by a mortar attack on the safe house, a fall-back position for embassy personnel that was supposed to have been kept secret.
"It's a pre-planned act of terrorism," he said, adding that the anti-Muslim film had "nothing to do with this attack."
(This was not the interview NBC wanted and it appears it will be ignored by the rest of the mainstream media, since they apparently feel it is their job to report only things that can help with President Obama's re-election.....and this doesn't fit. They can't come out now with the truth, showing how Obama and the State Department lied to cover their behinds. They will continue to repeat the talking points handed to them by the Obama Campaign team.)